February 11 2016
Here is the interview of the sooo kawai Bitsy !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
Since 2007, My first convention was A-KON in Dallas and I wore a random dress I put together, but people thought I was Misa from Deathnote, lol.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
Depending on the cosplay! I work really fast so I usually will spend 8 hours and complete the cosplay in one day. If it's more detailed, It could take hours or days! My Moxxi cosplay took over 40 hours of my time.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I love learning languages and watch anime. I love studying random subjects on my own. Especially mythology, medicine, and humanities. I also love to cook and bake and of course the occasional video games !
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ? I've seen we have transparent worbla now...
I usually use a lot of fabric really ! I have used worbla, foam, and wonderflex! They are all good for different props or prosthetics you're trying to achieve. I'm hoping to work more with foam soon!
5. Do you have any FAVORITE cosplayer ?
AHHHHHH I love Yaya Han because her seamstress skills and dedication is so admirable. I always cry when I see her new cosplays. I'm hoping one day to become her understudy
but when asked, she said she is too busy at the moment and I'd have to wait until she has more time to actually teach me. I can't wait for that day! I also love Titanesque cosplay, because they work as a group and the synergy and skills they have always amaze me.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
I've burnt myself so many times with a heat gun. I'm really clumsy. I've also had the needle on my sewing machine sew through my finger and one time the needle even broke off into my finger. I've become a lot more careful, but I'm naturally just clumsy. AT A CONVENTION THOUGH? The only time I hurt myself was when I was Jinx from LoL and carrying the props were so heavy, I bruised my shoulders and sprained my wrist. It's all worth it though !
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet grin emoticon ?
I sell little pieces that are still intact. I have a really bad habit of just throwing my old cosplays away. After I wear it, I usually throw it away or tear it up cause I get frustrated !
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
I taught myself! Until 2013, I was handsewing all my cosplays and it was awful! I finally got hands on a sewing machine, and I'm still learning! Youtube videos do help!
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
I still haven't decided !
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
I will never ever go over 100$. I'm jobless at the moment, but maybe if I had the chance to have a larger budget, I would spend lots and create giant elaborate cosplays.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
I've already listed all my cosplays haha.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I don't have a job right now, but I have been looking! I've been spending all my time working on a new clothing line and hats to sell and I Really hope that goes well when I open shop officially because that would be a dream!
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
Meeting Yaya Han and having her compliment my Jinx was the best day of my life. Brian even asked for a picture and she signed my zap gun. I've met her twice since then and I can't wait to meet her again. Worst was ALA 2015, I had pneumonia and was put to bedrest but I went to the con anyways and was unable to cosplay. It was really disappointing and I cried a lot, but it's
over now and I promise more in the future!
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Please keep going. I've wanted to quit so many times from frustration or stress or hate comments,but I kept going and I could never imagine being where I am today. There's only up from here! When I first started, I made maybe 6 cosplays and threw them all away because i thought I looked stupid. Don't do that. Don't do what I did. Keep working and keep at it! It WILL be worth it and you will have fun I promise.
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make (too sexy, too hard, too heavy...) ?
I don't think I have limits. For cosplays I walk around in at a con, I've been too scared to do swimsuit cosplays, but I'm trying to be more confident. For photoshoots, I think my limits have lessened as long as the photoshoot is with someone I trust and the pictures always come out elegant and beautiful and not repulsive. I've never seen myself as the sexy type. Thanks !
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/bitsycosplay/