April 15 2016
Voici l'interview de la jolie flamande Asylumn ! Décidément on ne manque vraiment pas de jolies cosplayeuses en Belgique !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
Since always ? I think the real deal started in 2014 when I made my cosplay complete out of scrap and I started to go to conventions. Before that I bought some cosplays or let others make parts for me.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
Depends on each costume and your own skills. Like for me fabric cosplays will take longer than armor ones. And cosplays with LED's in will take even longer, oh god I dislike LED's...
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
Playing the characters I cosplay of course.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ? I've seen we have transparent worbla now...
I use everything I find ! Once I used my mom's old jacket because the arms were just perfect for my boot covers.. She was so mad when she found out. But thermoplastic really made the difference in the cosplay community. Many (rich) cosplayers now start to use the 3D printer for their costumes.
5. Do you have any FAVORITE cosplayer ?
Well I was a big fan of Kamui and Lightning, but both didn't post much of their progress anymore since they got popular. I prefer to see how people make everything rather than see how great they can pose in front of a camera.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Of course, I think every cosplayer hurted himself already ! It's more of how many times we hurt ourself. My complete arm is full of scars and burns. And when it's al finished we start hurting ourself at a convention; not with the intention to do so, but damn the pain of wearing a costume 8+ hrs.
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet :D ?
I mostly keep them, because I'm afraid to sell them ! If I sold them, I would love to have some money back, but the skills aren't that PRO, therefore I bought a huge closet !
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
It's a creativity inside the cosplay that teaches me how to make something. But also a bit youtube/Pinterest/magazines/other cosplayers/.... haha.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
Probably all the Belgian cons, Gamescom and maybe some in the Netherlands.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
Since this is my only hobby and I love to try stuff, i do not have a limited budget. However I do not want to overspend on a cosplay. I think around 400 euros is a OK maximum for 1 costume.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
Of course ! But I would not tell since it's secret like you said. Haha, naaah, I'm thinking of Master skin Valla and Necromancer Xul from HotS.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I'm a CSR at a big logistic company. It's a very stressfull job so I love to clear my head with cosplay... Eventhough sometimes I break my head more in thinking how to make a cosplay. But ah, it's a passion so it always gives a better feeling.
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
Cons are always yeeeeeyyyy ! It's lovely to meet my friends, get the attention from fans...
But each con is also MEH because the costume can get damaged and sometimes people are rude towards the costume or while taking pictures. So it can be YEY and MEH at the same time, but it's like that with everything in life !
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Try and Error is the best advice... always ! And if people want some help, you can always ask, I'd love to help and so do all the other cosplayers !
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make (too sexy, too hard, too heavy...) ?
I prefer not to go too naked, for myself and for others. You can shock people with that you know !? And also not going too heavy. I once had a very bad injury of walking with a wooden Scyth for 10hrs... Never again. But if you love the character, there are no limits, or maybe when it involves LED's.. then yes !
Her official facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/AsylumnCosplay/