September 18 2016
Here's the interview of the amazing Sayuri Nakano from Ukraine ! These interviews are really worldwide and I'm pretty proud about it ;) !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
Most of the time within one month.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I love PC video games (my favorites are Mass Effect, Dragon Age and League of legends), bake and reading in my spare time. I also like to ride a bike, but I'm just learning.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ?
I have never ordered worbla, I use assembly foam, paper-mache, linoleum, etc. In the near future I want to try eva sheets (for my next cosplay). In Ukraine it's difficult to find suitable materials. I can only order oversea.
5. Do you have any FAVORITE cosplayer ?
I just recently created a page on Facebook so I don't know many foreign cosplayers. I only know Kamui, who makes great crafting.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Never, I am very careful to treat myself !
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
Huge closet and storage room ! Some parts of my cosplays are used as room decoration (like my giant twi'lek head tails).
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
I watch many tutorials, and my family help me sometimes. But basically, it's the path of trial and error.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
Alas, I can only go to Ukrainian festivals yet ! But maybe I can also go to Poland.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
1500 UAH (Mercenar : 1500 ukrain hryvnia makes around 52 euro). It is...omg, I'm terrified for summing up and how bad our dollar rate is ! This is around $60. To make it clearer, this is the minimum wage in Ukraine for 1 month. The average wage is 3000-3500 UAH.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
No secret, I want to cosplay female Shepard from Mass Effect 3. This is my dream !
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I don't work now and I still have the last year to study in order to get a master's degree in winter. Then I will move to a new apartment and find a job.
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
The best was this year, when I was leading one of our festivals. And the worst I can't remember.
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
The main thing is that cosplay must bring pleasure. Do what you like and ignore the haters. And of course, you must be prepared to invest a lot of work and inspiration in your costumes.
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make ?
I have already reached my "sexy" limit with Darth Talon in her armored underwear. But in general I sew well, but badly craft. So cosplay with lots of craft are only a dream for me at the moment.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/sayuri.nakano.cosplay/