December 13 2019
I already interviewed Heather back in 2009, on the old website that gamekult has deleted. It was about time to interview her again, 10 years later ! Of course the questions are not the same as the old one.
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
I have been cosplaying for over 23 years now.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
It depends on the costume. Some projects take only a few hours, and others are years in the making.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I love illustration ! For several years I worked as a freelance artist, mostly in the comic book and video game fields.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ?
Anything that's handy ! I enjoy repurposing clothing and other items in an effort to keep my costs down.
5. Do you have any favorite cosplayer ?
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Many times. I've been burnt, cut, punctured, etc., and that's only just making the costumes. It's all worth it though, and I don't make the same mistake twice.
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
It's always difficult to let my costumes go, but I do try to be good about selling them. Not only does it clear space for new creations, it also helps me fund future cosplays.
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
I'm mostly self-taught, though I do find a lot of inspiration online.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
The year is almost over, so I only have one more scheduled currently : NDK's New Years Eve event !
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
I don't have a limit per se, but I like to keep my costs down whenever possible. I reuse items, my wigs for example, for various costumes. I also raid my fabric scrap bin for most projects. So it's difficult to say exactly how much was spent on materials for any specific cosplay.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
I always have too many ideas !
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I repair/restore high-end rugs; mostly for museums and private collectors. I also take on art commissions (mostly logo design nowadays) whenever time allows.
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
My best experience has to be meeting my husband at Dragoncon 2000. As for the worst, it's hard to say.... I know that I have been tired, frustrated and sad at conventions at certain times throughout the years, however I prefer to focus on the positive things in life. So any bad memories are blurry and unfocused, which is how I prefer them to be.
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
So long as cosplaying makes you feel happy and confident, I think you're on the right track !
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make ?
Yes. I only cosplay characters of my choosing, and only choose characters that I feel confident I can portray in a way that I can be proud of.
Her fansign picture of 2019 :
And her fan sign picture of 2009 :
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/HeatherCosplay/