February 19 2016
If you are not afraid to see some very sexy and HOT nosebleed cosplays, here comes the interview of the truly amazing Mandee Sim !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
I've been cosplaying for around 3 years!
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
It depends. Simple costumes I generally take around a week, more complicated costumes can take a month or two. This is when I'm taking my time. When I'm on a deadline (going to a convention/photoshoot), and pulling all-nighters to finish, I can make a costume in one or a few days.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I love going to music festivals! Particularly electronic dance music (EDM). I've been going to music festivals even before I started cosplaying. I also love art. I used to draw a lot as a child/teen, especially when I was sitting in class in school.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ? I've seen we have transparent worbla now...
I generally use anything. I mainly use craft foam, and I have used worbla once. The first time I used worbla I thought it was magic! I really hope to make more things out of worbla soon, and the transparent one looks so cool! Of course using any of those, I prime with gesso and use spray paint + acrylic paint. I have used paper mache and clay, as well as insulation foam, to make prop bases. A lot of times I have glued fabric on craft foam.
5. Do you have any FAVORITE cosplayer ?
In North America; Jessica Nigri, Vampy Bit Me. In Asia; Tasha, Aza Miyuko, Mon, and Misa.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
I burn myself all the time with hot glue, I am almost immune to it now. I have bled by poking myself accidentally with needles many times while hand-sewing and pinning. I have burnt myself by touching worbla that was too hot. I have had a pressure sore on the back of my neck due to the costume design. There are probably more injuries, I just don't remember off the top of my head haha. I injure myself somehow every time I make something.
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
I don't sell my old cosplays. My basement is getting out of hand haha.
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
Googling/internet/youtube. I don't even know if I'm doing it right; I just do it anyway.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
Akihabara Expo in December! And of course I'm going to Anime Expo. I went to Fanime for the first time and I really enjoyed that, I want to go again. My plans are pretty scattered, I'm not really sure what I'm attending for sure.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
I don't really set any limits? I try to spend as little as needed, but also as much as I need, for any costume.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
Hahaha I don't really know... I could say a lot of things and then it somehow never happens and then I'll feel bad for ever saying it. Cosplayers know this feeling well.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I'm a Registered Nurse!
13. You best souvenir from a convention ? And your worst ?
Hm, best souvenir is probably making a ton of great friends! I'm from Canada, and I somehow made an entire group of new friends in the United States! I don't really think I have ever received anything bad? The worst is probably the feeling of not doing as much as I should have when I travel somewhere for a convention. I really like sleeping and sometimes I just sleep my entire day away.
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Just do whatever you want, however you want, and never limit yourself. Don't worry about what other people are doing, and just do the best you can. If you suck, I assure you it will get better.
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make (too sexy, too hard, too heavy...) ?
I don't really limit myself per-say, but I know I can't make everything. I take into consideration what skills I have/don't have and what would be challenging for myself. Generally; if I like it enough, I'll cosplay it.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/MandeeSim