April 11 2017
Here's a brand new interview of the world famous Germia from Czech Republic !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
I make cosplay for about two to three years now.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
Every costume is different, but for the most elaborate ones, it took me 6 months to finish it. As you said, it’s a hobby, so I work on it only in my free time.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I really love playing computer games, I like music, sing and I love creative work. I am also interested in foreign languages.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ?
I love combining different materials and techniques. For each and every part of the costume, I’m trying to use the cheapest alternative possible. So for the most parts I’m using, EVA foam or craft foam, for the parts, that need to be hard and durable I use worbla (black on smaller, ore elaborate stuff, normal worbla for stressed stuff, because it holds better). For some parts, I use cardboard or paper or plywood, for transparent stuff, I choose to work with document foils rather than worbla.
5. Do you have any FAVORITE cosplayer ?
I have a lot of favourite cosplayers, but when I started, 3 cosplayers helped me a lot. First was Kamui with her video tutorials - I’ve learned a lot of useful stuff from her. Second was Chrix design with her similar approach to cosplay - make cosplay cheap and use everyday stuff for not-everyday costumes (like using bottle caps for my rockets, nerf gun and umbrella for my weapons). Third cosplayer is my dear friend Ketrin cosplay.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
You can hear from all the cosplayers, that making a cosplay is a lot of sweat, blood and tears. Even the most experienced cosplayers always hurt themselves when making a cosplay. But wearing a cosplay can hurt too. Ask cosplayers with wings, how hurtful it is to wear them for hours on their back. My swelled shoulders and back can tell stories !
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
I have it in my garage, but I have to admit, I really don’t plan to sell them. I can say it is too hard to say goodbye to them.
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
I’ve learned that myself by the great help of internet ! You can find everything there!!!
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
I am going to Unicon in Latvia, Magic in Monaco, Animefest and Acon in Czech Republic and I would love to visit Dreamhack once again and attend Gamescom. My big dream is then to attend Blizzcon and take part in the cosplay contest.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
There are no limits. If I’m making a cosplay, I always choose the alternative, that gives me high quality for smaller amount of money and even I invest a lot of money in it, if I would say stop in the middle of making it, all the so far invested money would be lost.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
Super secret cosplay plans are meant to be secret ! But I’m currently working on Auriel from HotS and Diablo, and also on Apollyon from For Honor.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I am a teacher and a bussinesswoman.
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
I have no “worst” experience from convention, the best experience is for me always the chance to take part in a contest and meet my friends !
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Don’t make cosplay for others, make it for yourself. Try to learn new things and try to get better ! Internet is a great source of knowledge ! Cosplay is for everyone, don’t be afraid to try it, but be aware of your strong and weak sides.
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make (too sexy, too hard, too heavy...) ?
I really don’t want to make overly sexy cosplays, show a lot of skin - it’s out of my comfort zone and I don’t think I want the kind of attention these cosplays get.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/DATgermia/