April 19 2019
Here is the interview of the very talented Daraya from Poland !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
I’m cosplayer from march 2014, so it’s 4th year now.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
It depends on type of costume. And deadline ! I’m able to make a costume in 24 hours (without sleeping of course). But normally it’s about 2-3 weeks, more if the costume is more detailed or if I have no motivation to finish it.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I’m an amateur tailor, corsetmaker and since one year, I’m making resin jewelry.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ?
I used a lot of materials, primarily eva foam, because of the price. But I like worbla too. All materials have pros and cons, for example I don’t use transparent worbla, but I heard that it's problematic. I prefer to use PET foil or resin in transparent parts. But white or black worbla, oh, they are so nice, but expensive too !
5. Do you have any favorite cosplayer ?
No, I don’t ! I like some cosplayers, because they are nice or beautiful persons, or because of some specializations (for example I love wings from The Crooked Feather, magic details and hot glue stuff by Ptytb Art Atelier or the amazing painting jobs from Ginoza Costuming) but I have no favorite cosplayer.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Oh, yes ! At the beginning of my cosplay a lot ! I think that wallpaper knife and hot glue are the most dangerous enemies for cosplayers !
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
I have a too small flat ! So unfortunately, I need to sell them but then I have money for new ones !
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
In Poland we have a nice, big group about making cosplays. If I didn’t know something, there were a lot of helpful people and information there.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
I don’t know yet, but for sure nothing abroad !
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
Hm, I’m not sure. I try not to spend too much money for cosplay, because of that I always try to find the cheapest (but still good quality) ways, to make costume. But hm, for sure no more than 300 USD but in my country materials are at good prices.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
A lot ! I still want to make cosplay with my boyfriend, and last time LoL did perfect skins for that.
12. What are you doing in real life for a living ?
I’m a cosplay commissioner, but I have to take a break, because I’m little overworked. Except that I’m making corsets, dresses and resin pendants. But I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to live in this artistic way, I hope for a long time !
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
The best : the first time I was in costume, I was really surprised how many people took pictures with me, it was really motivating. Worst : cosplay contest, when it was really high temperature, so I felt horrible, and there were only two participant teams (for cosplay eliminations for a big cosplay contest in another country), and of course I lost !
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Never give up !
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make ?
I’ll never cosplay a character which I don’t like because of his appearance or history.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/Daraya.cosplay/