April 18 2019
Here is the interview of the amazing MyBoo from Korea !
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
I started cosplaying since I was in high school and have been doing cosplay for over 10 years.
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
It took me six months to make my Desert Queen Zagara costume. This costume was the most time-consuming work I did. It usually seems to take about a month to make a cosplay.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I try not to have other hobbies as much as possible. Because if you fall into something, you can't get out of it easily. Recently, I have achieved the "Rank 1 in Gwent Ranked Mode" in Gwent the Witcher card game, and it is refraining me from playing games.
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ?
I usually use sponge and EVA foam. I haven't used worbla yet. The clear sphere of the Desert Queen Zagara is an acrylic sphere.
5. Do you have any favorite cosplayer ?
My favorite cosplay is Desert Queen Zagara, too. It was for me the most time and money consuming among the cosplays that I've done so far.
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Desert Queen Zagara's big claws are fixed to my legs, so I get bruises on my thighs every time I cosplay it. Recently, in C2E2, I had a bruise on my head, perhaps because I've been in that cosplay for too long.
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
Most of costume are kept in my house. They take up a lot of space. But I don't think anyone would want to buy the costume at a price that's worth it for me. If there was one like that, I would sell my costume !
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
My first costume was self-taught. And I went to the academy for costume making. Producing props gets ideas from YouTube and research. My parents didn't want the house to get dirty because of the costume making. After I got married, I was able to live alone with my husband and concentrate fully on the production of costumes.
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
Seoul Comic Con is scheduled for this year. I want to experience many different conventions.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
There is no limit. I spend almost all my money on cosplay. I tend to invest my time and money until I get the quality that I want.
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
Haha I have a lot of cosplay that I want to do. However, because it takes a long time to make, choose the character carefully. My wish list is a secret.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I am an housewife. I want Cosplay to be a job !
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
C2E2 was very special because it was my first overseas convention. I was so happy to see and enjoy various cosplays. Worst of all, it cost $3,000 to ship Desert Queen Zagara Costume from Korea to Chicago. $3000 is for round-trip delivery. The Comic-Con provided $350 for me, and I paid for the rest...
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Do it once ! One experience makes you realize more about your long-term worries. If you get greedy after a try of cosplay, you'll do it next, whoever tries to stop you, you will do it !
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make ?
I don't set limits, but the reality is difficult. I want to do sexier cosplay, but there are restrictions on sexy cosplay in Korean conventions. Large costumes are also difficult because of storage and delivery. I'll try to get through these situations.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/MyBooCosplay/