January 29 2020
Here comes the interview of Vera Vanguard from the USA ! Interview made in 2018.
1. For how long have you been in cosplay ?
Many many years !
2. Cosplay is a time consuming hobby. how long does it take to craft your costumes ?
It really depends on the costume. There are costumes that took months to make... hours at a time. I spent weeks gluing 15 thousand rhinestones one by one by hand to make my "Showgirl Maleficent" for the Comicon Masquerade. Other costumes, I ask craftspeople for help with. I think its OK to ask for help if you know your limits and time constraints.
3. Any other hobby or passion besides cosplaying ?
I am a world champion in natural body building bikini fitness. This is sort of a full time hobby. It is very expensive and when you compete, you work out 3 hours a day on average. But check out my instagram, there are many pics over there. I was just invited to compete in South Korea and I came back with the Silver and Bronze medals. Got the gold at the Natural Olympia in Vegas last year !
4. What materials are you using for cosplay crafting, worbla ? Foam ? Can you talk about that a little bit ?
I am so fascinated with Worbla ! But alas I am not that advanced... yet ! I would love to learn how to work with it. Mainly, these days I go for body suits and easy to carry cosplay like Black Canary and Samus.
5. Do you have any favorite cosplayer ?
Oh ! So many ! I love all the creators of the most amazing worbla armor, they are GENIUS !
6. Did you hurt yourself while making a cosplay or in a convention ?
Luckily no, but as many people know, wearing elaborate cosplay may be heavy, very uncomfortable, hot, and lets not even start on how your feet hurt. Do crazy swollen feet and blisters count ?
7. Do you sell your old cosplays, or just keep it in a huge closet ?
I just sold my "Showgirl Maleficent" to a beautiful lady who will wear it as themewear in her own bodybuilding federation. There are many federations out there, I'm in the natural one. Some, like my amazing Witchblade... unfortunately disintegrated because it was so old lol. The fabric costumes also fall apart, from friction and heat. So I find it best to just keep moving. Right now I just stick to body suits. Easy to carry, don't require a lot of upkeep, and most importantly they show my physique.
8. Who teached you to craft your cosplays ? Your family ? By reading books or watching youtube tutorials ?
I am kind of self taught. I've always been crafty. Cosplaying brings crafting to a whole other level !
9. Which conventions are you going to this year ?
San Diego Comicon and LA Comicon.
10. What is your limit budget for a cosplay ?
It depends on how bad I want to do it. I never spent more than $300 on parts... so far hey you never know what will inspire me in the future !
11. Any future super secret cosplay project in mind ?
Never secret ! I want everyone to know what I have in mind, that way they can try to talk me out of the madness.
12. What are you doing in "real" life for a living ?
I have many careers that I juggle simultaneously. I am a professional child sized hand model (oh yes ! You have seen my hands in literally hundreds of commercials), I am a feature film writer/producer, check out my latest funny sci-fi called "Breaking Barbi", and a pro beauty makeup artist. I hope to turn pro in bodybuilding soon as well. I have been qualified 3 times already but I think I still need to work a little longer on the physique before I can step on stage and compete with the pros. They are on another level !
13. You best experience from a convention ? And your worst ?
Best was standing next to the Tick who says "Spoooooooon !" at that very moment Neo walks by and says "There is no spoon". Worst was... never really had one ! Don't jinx me !
14. Any advice for cosplay wannabees or beginners ?
Never listen to anyone and just make the costume of your dreams and how you envision it. Then go and
rock the Sh!# out of it ! If you stick with it, your skills will improve.
15. Do you have limits ? Some cosplays you will never make ?
I have a threshold for discomfort. I will do it for say, a show, or a masquerade but I don't want to walk around for 8 or more hours in a costume that will leave permanent damage.
Her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/breakingbarbi/
Her instagram : https://www.instagram.com/veravanguard/
Her website : https://stormgodstudios.com/BREAKINGBARBI/